Mora Collection ➔ MRA-ITA-Rom347

Collection Item

Sample ID:

Sample Type:
Mural painting;Pigment
(Sub-Type: powder)

Other info about sample identity:
Pig.5; 0124 [label glued to the plastic holder]

Geographic Location:
Map and GPS DD Coordinates

Chiesa della Santissima Trinità dei Monti, Cappella della Rovere

Historical note about the site/monument:
The church of the Trinità dei Monti (Trinity of the Mounts) was built between 1494 and 1594 to house the French religious order of Minims under the initiative of French kings Louis XII and his son Charles VIII. It stands on a prominent position above the Spanish steps and is crowned with a pair of symmetrical bell towers designed by Giacomo della Porta and Carlo Maderno. The Chapel of the Assumption, also called Chapel of Lucrezia della Rovere (niece of Pope Julius III), was ceded in the mid-16th century and bears mural paintings by Daniele Ricciarelli da Volterra (and his pupils) and Gaspar Becerra. Executed in the years between 1548 and 1560, the paintings have a Mannerist style and depict scenes including the Assumption, the Massacre of the Innocents, The birth of the Virgin and the Coronation of Mary.

Wikipedia contributors. (2021, March 21). Trinità dei Monti. In Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Retrieved 10:08, May 16, 2021, fromà_dei_Monti&oldid=1013472653.

Felici, A. C., Fronterotta, G., Piacentini, M., Nicolais, C., Sciuti, S., Vendittelli, M., & Vazio, C. (2004). The wall paintings in the former Refectory of the Trinità dei Monti convent in Rome: relating observations from restoration and archaeometric analyses to Andrea Pozzo’s own treatise on the art of mural painting. Journal of cultural heritage5(1), 17-25.

Chronological period (sample):
15th-16th century

Photos/Documents (provenance):
Obelisk by Salustiano and the façade of the Church of Trinità dei Monti (photo by Mstislav Chernov, / CC-BY-SA 3.0)